Saturday, February 18, 2006

Ignorance & Bliss versus Knowledge & Pain

In high school, I had a really good English teacher named Mr. Griffin ("Griff Dog") who taught me some things about life and literature that, surprisingly, I still remember. One of those things involves the paradox between ignorance and knowledge. We did a unit on the Oedipus complex. Those who have read the story know that at the end Oedipus had to make a choice. He had to decide between unveiling the truth about his wife and suffering extreme pain and misfortune or remaining ignorant and living the rest of his life in harmony and bliss. Because Oedipus could not hold his curiosity at bay, he chose to discover the truth - he had married his own mother and killed his father. He then tore his eyes out and lived the remainder of his life in self inflicted torture. There is a point to this whole story. A few minutes ago, my cell phone rang, and the caller ID had been blocked. If you know me, you know that my phone does not control me, and I am solely the one who decides whether or not to answer it. I'm not the type of person who will answer my phone every time it rings (unless, of course, you are a good friend of mine;-) ). Anyway, I was curious, VERY curious, as to who it was that was calling me, but I decided not to pick up the phone because if this person really wanted to talk to me, they would leave a message. A few seconds go by, and I noticed that my phone had no new messages. Oh well. One minute later, my dorm phone starts to ring. Great. This person must really want to talk to me but doesn't have the guts to leave a message. At this point, my curiosity is threatening to take over my ability to control my urge to pick up the phone, and I am yet again thrown into making a decision. Should I pick up the phone and answer the mysterious call, thus choosing knowledge over ignorance and risking the chance that this person might bring pain and misery into my life. Or should I ignore the persistant ringing and choose to live the rest of my life in ignorance and bliss. What do I do?

Oedipus was stupid.

So I don't answer my phone.

2 comments:

~marie said...

love love love this post!!!!! very deep- loved it-so thought provoking!

hope you get to go out w/me on sat!!!!

Amber said...

:-) Thanks!