For my Algebra II Honors class, I gave them a "Math Valentine" assignment that would help pull their quiz averages up if they did a good job. For the assignment, they had to create a math valentine poem and put it in the shape of a heart. Some of the poems were so funny that when I read over them during my next class (they were taking a test), I literally laughed out loud.
Here were some of the poems that my students created.... hope you enjoy them!
I was waitin' for my Valentine
On the median close to the town square.
Roots were showin' from a tree,
And I was wishin' she was there.
When she escapes from her mean mama
We'll be makin' a radical change.
I'm findin' some mode of transportation,
And we're runnin' off to the range.
~by Lucus Huff
Lost in your radical smile,
Oh how I wish I could stay while.
Swayed by but a fraction of you
Looking at your picture I know it's true.
You're the only one that makes me whole.
Without you, I'm one lonely soul.
~by Brandon Watt
Extraneous solutions may not always be right,
And equations may take a while to do.
Standard forms may be what's considered right,
But not even an easy addition problem could compare to you.
~by Kristen Cobb
Whenever you are not around,
My parabola goes upside down.
Of me you are the inverse,
My love for you will never go in reverse.
~by Brett Chambers
Oh yes, y equals mx plus b,
Have I told you lately how much I love thee?
You make my parabola positive and axis sing.
My beautiful matrix, will you be my Cramer King?
~by Megan Cox
Love is a method of combinations
Between positives and negatives
How do some find it?
Is it hidden beneath the radical?
Or should we find the opposite of our reflection.
Love is only the recognition
Of the heart's best connection.
~by Heather Burditt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
what a great idea and they did so well! this was my favorite one:
Whenever you are not around,
My parabola goes upside down.
Of me you are the inverse,
My love for you will never go in reverse.
~by Brett Chambers
Post a Comment