Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sleepless Night

It's been another long, sleepless night. It's just past 4:00 in the morning, and here I am, physically exhausted but unable to get any sleep. Yesterday was one of those days that will go down in the record books as a day that I'll never forget. It began horribly, continued at a rough pace, and finished with an emotional crash.
First off, my car was stolen at 5:15 am. It was parked in Stringer C parking lot, and the whole thing was caught on the campus safety video tapes. Michael was supposed to spend the morning with me, eating breakfast at the Bagel Shop and then helping me finish packing, but we ended up spending most of the morning talking to the police instead. There was also a burglary that happened on campus around the time my car was stolen, so they think there's a connection. Even though it really stinks having no car for the summer, I'm glad that nothing worse happened. I have so many other things to be grateful for,and I'm not going to let something like a stolen car make me depressed.

The rest of the day went okay. Michael and I stopped by Marie's to say hello, and it felt really good to see her. She gave me an indoor/outdoor grill that I can use for my house, and it's the perfect size for me. It's so cute! I can't wait to use it. After visiting Marie, I had graduation practice and then spent the next several hours moving furniture into my house. My dad came to Anderson with this big U-haul full of things that I could use (including a lawn mower :-D), and Michael, Tony, Rebecca, my dad, and I worked all afternoon unloading everything. I thought we would never get it all unloaded. There were several things that happened during my big "move into the house" afternoon that were upsetting, but it went by fast, and before I knew it, the sun had already set.

Now comes the longest and toughest part of the entire day. Because graduation is in the morning, I told my mom that she could spend the night in my dormroom so that she wouldn't have to get up so early to drive all the way from Columbia to come to the ceremony. She got to Anderson around 9:00, and so from 9:00 until sometime after midnight, I got to spend time with my mom on an emotional roller coaster. It was hard. Really hard. Occasionally, I felt the need to throw-up but held it in. I just don't understand my mom. I love her, I forgive her, and I'll always be thankful for everything she did for me, but I can't have the same kind of relationship with her that we had before.

God, please help me be the kind of daughter you've called me to be. Help me be a woman after your own heart, and give me the strength I need to survive what this next day will bring.

1 comment:

~marie said...

sorry you had another sleepless night. but you'll just have to crash at some point! so MAYBE tonight you'll finally get some rest. we'll see you at AU in a bit :)