I stopped by my house yesterday to do a load of laundry. Because the weather outside was so nice, I decided to sit out on the front steps for a while and enjoy the sunshine. It felt wonderful, sitting there with my feet stretched out in front of me, basking in the warm sunlight. While I enjoyed my time of relaxation, I started noticing something about my front lawn. It's in desperate need of mowing, however, there is one problem. I don't have a lawn mower. What should I do?
My parents never did like mowing the grass. When I was a little girl, my mom or my dad (I don't remember exactly who told me to do this) gave me a pair of scissors and instructed me to start cutting the grass because it needed to be cut. Maybe they were just trying to give me something to do so that I wouldn't drive them crazy. Maybe the grass really did need to be cut. Either way, I spent hours and hours as a kid, cutting the long stems of grass with the pair of scissors that my parents had given me. I loved it because it meant that I got to spend all afternoon outside and help my parents at the same time (or so I thought). It was great fun, but no more than a small section of grass ever got done. When I finished, the yard always looked like it had a bald spot where I had cut, and my mom would eventually have to shave the rest of the yard with the lawn mower to complete the look.
Now that I need to mow a lawn of my own, cutting the grass with scissors doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Maybe if I start cutting this afternoon, I'll be done by the time summer is over. Hmmm. :-)
Time to get out the scissors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
just hire a neighborhood boy to do it! i bet they can use the money :)
Post a Comment