Saturday, March 04, 2006

Real Gentlemen

When I think about the characteristics of real gentlemen, the first thing that comes to my mind are those men who play the roles of southern war heroes in the civil war movies like Gone With the Wind. Charming. Polite. Respectful. You don't see many guys like that anymore, and when you do happen to come across a guy who actually remembers to open the door for you, it always feels like a special treat. It feels weird saying all this because I'm one of those girls who doesn't like it when people do things for me. I always feel like I'm the one who should be serving, not the other way around. When a guy opens a door for me, I'm very pleased and grateful but at the same time there's this urge inside of me that wants to say, no, let me open the door for you.
Anyway, now for the real story. I went to Crystal's house this afternoon for a wedding shower for Heidi and Nick. There was a man there who I recognized, but I didn't remember who he was or how I knew him. About thirty minutes into the party, I started to get tired of standing and decided to look for somewhere to sit. The only place that was open was directly beside the place where this man was standing. I wasn't sure if he was claiming the seat as his or not, so I gave him a brief look that said "mind if I sit there?" He motioned go ahead, and I walked over to the seat. I'm in the process of sitting down when, all of a sudden, I feel a gentle push behind my chair that moves it just enough so that it fits perfectly underneath me. It was the strangest thing. I always imagined that gentlemanly act of pushing the chair underneath the lady to be something that in itself would feel physically awkward, but this wasn't awkward at all. The whole act was done so smoothly, that for a moment, I wasn't even sure it had happened. Then it dawned on me, and a delighted smile quickly found its way up my spine and into my cheeks. I had just been given the "push the chair" move for the first time in my life, and it felt wonderful. And to think it had come from a stranger who, believe it or not, was truly just being a gentleman.

2 comments:

~marie said...

did you ever figure out who this mystery gentleman is?

Amber said...

yep. ;-) that's how i eventually found out that he really was just being a gentleman. he is lee mcderment's roommate, and i had seen him once before at a christmas party at lee's house. we never actually struck up a conversation, so i really don't know anything about him other than the fact that he is passionate about Christ and loves to help out at Newspring.