Thursday, March 09, 2006

A Healthy Sickness

I'm sick. My throat hurts. My head hurts. My whole body feels like it's going to shut down at any given moment. It's been really tough these past few days, trying to teach five classes with a voice that's barely there and a body that wants to do nothing but sleep. I left work at the library early on Monday night because I literally couldn't stand up anymore. Tuesday night, I was supposed to go to an SGA meeting and help Residence Life do a "beach theme" spring break awareness event but ended up falling asleep with my head against my teacher's edition of Algebra II. On Wednesday night, I spent another night in my room, curled up on my bed. I missed both my Bible Study and my weekly RA meeting with the Stringer C staff. Finally Thursday is here, and my body is slowly starting to come back to normal. Goodness, it's been a long week, and I can't wait until Friday.

This is going to sound a little weird, but I'm going to write it anyway. Even though being sick wasn't much fun, overall it felt good. It felt healthy being sick. I could feel my immune system fighting off the virus that was threatening to take over my body, and, I don't know how else to say it, it just felt good. I felt alive.

Sometimes it takes a sickness before you appreciate what most people take for granted every day. Your health.

2 comments:

~marie said...

glad you're feeling a little better!
have a great weekend!

btw- rachel w now has a blog which is "rach" on my links- so you can add her now if you want :)

Amber said...

Hehe. :-D Thanks!